In the fast-paced, hard-hitting, super cheeky, all-female world of banked track roller derby, two young women will need to balance the pull of budding relationships and family obligations with the demands and excitement of roller derby. After breaking one of the biggest rules in derby (not to mention an actual collarbone) Knockout and Can-Can are back on the track! But they have a lot of rehab to do, both on their battered bodies and their reputations in the league...will their friendship survive the dreaded derby drama?From bestselling novelist, screenwriter, and Los Angeles Derby Doll Pamela Ribon (Going In Circles, Why Girls Are Weird) and artist Marina Julia (Lumberjanes: Faire and Square) comes the next chapter in SLAM!.
Readers also enjoyed
- January 1, 1970DevannOnce again, I absolutely love the art but the story is just kind of meh to me. Maybe there's just too much relationship/personal drama for me? That's a big reason why I don't read much contemporary stuff, but I usually like roller derby stories so I'm not sure what exactly is missing here that is making this comic just average for me. [shrugs]more
- January 1, 1970GaryNot as good as the first book. Feels like they had to wrap things up in a hurry.
- January 1, 1970Kat2.5I was expecting so much more :(The ending felt super rushed too.
- January 1, 1970TravisThis series is cute. It's too bad it seems like there won't be any more of it, because I think it could be a lot better if it got more time to develop.
- January 1, 1970Jaime1) SLAM! Vol. 1 ★★★★content warnings: violence, injuriesrepresentation: asian-american sapphic main character, main interracial f/f relationship, main interracial relationship, side characters of colourThis was just as fantastic as the first volume. I understand some people not liking this one as much because it is more character-focused due to the two leads not participating in roller derby at first, and then even when they are it focuses a lot more on their personal relationships. But I really 1) SLAM! Vol. 1 ★★★★content warnings: violence, injuriesrepresentation: asian-american sapphic main character, main interracial f/f relationship, main interracial relationship, side characters of colourThis was just as fantastic as the first volume. I understand some people not liking this one as much because it is more character-focused due to the two leads not participating in roller derby at first, and then even when they are it focuses a lot more on their personal relationships. But I really like the characters and enjoyed seeing their personal lives. In particular, I really liked Jennifer's relationship with her grandmother and the budding romance she has.I wish there was more of this and would highly recommend it!more
- January 1, 1970KristinIt took me about 15 minutes to read this because only a single comic's worth of plot is spread across five. I was really disappointed at the drop off in quality and characterization between volume one and two; the only good storyline was the subplot about the skater's rebellion against sexualized promo posters.more
- January 1, 1970EmmaDidn't find this to be quite as enjoyable as volume one. The story was a little hard to get in to and I think a reintroduction of the characters would have been great. I also preferred Veronica Fish's art style but that's just a personal preference. That being said, it was still a light and easy read, whilst still retaining much of the adversity and strong female characters as volume one.more
- January 1, 1970MichelleWas a little lost at first as I read volume one so long ago, but dug this. Girl power and derby and delving more into these c relationships 😍
- January 1, 1970Lisa KuhnExtra star for being about the only sport I like, otherwise all the drama was exhausting. Maisie is annoying. I don't really feel attached to any of the characters.
- January 1, 1970Elizabeth Judd TaylorGood second volume...just wish these collections came out quicker as I don’t have access to the individual comics!
- January 1, 1970HeatherI liked it even more than the first volume, but I'm a huge sucker for derby.
- January 1, 1970Greyson [Use Your Words]SLAM! Series Ratings:SLAM! Vol. 1: ★★★★SLAM!: The Next Jam: TBR— I really enjoyed the first volume of this! Hopefully, I can get my hands on the second volume when it comes out.___│Blog│Instagram│Twitter│Tumblr│
- January 1, 1970KristaThe story was a bit fragmented and all over the place in this volume.
- January 1, 1970CharlotteBook #5 for Contemporary-A-Thon 2018 Challenge 4: Read a contemporary in a non-traditional format
- January 1, 1970TylerDefinitely not as good as the first book, but still great art, and an easy to read fast paced story.
- January 1, 1970TiphanyNot as good as the first one
- January 1, 1970Kelly DashiellThese came out too far apart so that I can't really remember what happened in the first volume...BUT HEY I STILL LIKE IT
Write a review