Those who are familiar with my Riyria Chronicle series may be aware that I release them in a slightly unusual way. Since these books are primarily "stand alone" stories, I don't know how many books there will ultimately be. I have developed a number of story lines such that it could reach as many as 10 books, but I don't want to tarnish existing books that I'm so proud of. Therefore, if I get the impression that Royce and Hadrian (the two two-unlikely heroes who are the heart of this series) are overstaying their welcome, I'll make them leave early rather than having them stay too long.Ten months after the release of The Death of Dulgath (Riyria Chronicle #3) I could safely say that the readers still wanted more. So I'm currently writing this next book in the series. Here is the current schedule I'm working with. released as follows:* Sep - Oct 2016 - Research for the book* Nov 2016 - I've started writing* Feb 28, 2017 - expected finish for first draft* May 1, 2017 - expected start of beta reading* Oct/Nov 2017 - expected release date for audio and direct to author sales* April 2018 - expected release date for the retail chainAs you can see from above I'm trying something quite unusual with his book. The plan is to (a) Hold a Kickstarter for the print/ebook version of the book. (b) Release the audio book (which isn't covered under the non-compete in my current contract for Legends of the First Empire) as an "audio first" title. (c) The book won't be available (initially) through the retail chains as ebook and print, but as I said you CAN get copies via the Kickstarter or by buying directly from my website. NOTE: Those in foreign countries will be able to buy paperback editions from non-US retailers. If you want to sign up for notification, click here. (c) At some future date - at least six months later and also in coordination with Del Rey and Audio Studios the ebook and print versions will be made available through stores and online sites like Amazon and BN.com in the US.I'll keep people updated as the writing continues.
Readers also enjoyed
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (Riyria Chronicles, #4) Review
- October 1, 2016MichaelUpdate: 2/23/16 Wanted to give everyone an update on how the writing is going for this book. I think I'm about a month behind but hope to have the first draft wrapped by end of March or mid-April. I took more than a month off to deal with (a) copyedits for Age of Swords and (b) a bunch of manual labor required to get the cabin livable. With those activities behind me, I'm back at work and have about 1/3 of the novel finished. Release date of Oct/Nov still looks like it will work. If you've not y Update: 2/23/16 Wanted to give everyone an update on how the writing is going for this book. I think I'm about a month behind but hope to have the first draft wrapped by end of March or mid-April. I took more than a month off to deal with (a) copyedits for Age of Swords and (b) a bunch of manual labor required to get the cabin livable. With those activities behind me, I'm back at work and have about 1/3 of the novel finished. Release date of Oct/Nov still looks like it will work. If you've not yet signed up to be notified when the book is released, here is a link where you can do so. Oh, and don't forget to put the book on your Goodreads To-read shelf!! Adding it will help spread the word to your friends and followers. Well, I best get back to it.Update: 12/29/16 Well, we have a provisional title for the book: The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter. It could change if the beta readers come up with better ideas. But I'm running with it for now.Update: 12/05/16 Well, we have a release date!! Or at least a close approximation. The book will come out sometime in November 2017 before Thanksgiving. I had to work a bit with my publisher of the Legends of the First Empire books to find a place and way that we could squeeze this book in. But we have that finalized now. Because of the pre-planning the book is already in the top 10 most popular books for Nov 2017. So, if you are interested in getting a copy, please consider adding it to your to-read shelf and it'll rise even higher in that ranking. Oh, and speaking of interest in the book. It'll be released in an usual way. For the first six-months it won't be in stores, but you will be able to get the book directly from me in ebook, hardcover, or trade paperback (the audio version will be available on Audible.com and Apple's iBookstore). Since it won't be in stores, it'll be easy to miss the release date, so if you want to be notified where and how it is available for order, you can sign up for notification here. In other news, the writing is going well. No major snags encountered in the plot and the daily writing is easy and turning out well. I'm hoping to have the first draft completed by the end of February.Update: 11/22/16 The first 10,000 words are in, which is a good milestone to reach. I'm pleased with how things are goings, and haven't hit any stumbling blocks...which I usually do before now. I've also set my goal for finishing the first draft by the end of February. That should be doable. Update: 11/15/16 Yesterday I started my first official day of writing. The first 1,700 words are in the can. I usually don't write in the evenings but I was so motivated that I went back an edited that opening. Always fun starting a new book! Update: 10/1/16 Well it's the start of a new month and yesterday I found the last major piece of the puzzle required to write this book, so the story is coming together nicely. I'm not sure when I'll start writing...I'm expecting structural comments from my editor on Age of Swords (Legends of the First Empire #2), and Robin and Sarah are busy compiling input from the beta read. I think I should make those changes first so I can move on with the writing of this without interruption. But it's good to know I have a place to start and Ill be fleshing it in a bit more while I wait for the AoS feedback.more
- September 28, 2016AveryGIVE IT TO ME *GRABBY HANDS*Edit 12/29/16: IT HAS A TITLE!!!!!!!! (Also, Michael Sullivan mentioned beta readers??? How does one become a beta reader o.o)Also why are people already rating a book that hasn't even been written yet?? He's only just started writing it and there's already one-star ratings? I really do not like this feature of goodreads....more
- January 13, 2017Jael*cue Pterodactyl screaming*ANOTHER RIYRIA CHRONICLES BOOK?!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!
- March 5, 2017TravisIf this is anything like the rest of the series, I'm sure it will be a five star read. I can't wait.
- January 10, 2017Angelait's not even been published yet. But all his other books have been amazing and this one obviously will be too!
Write a review