The one woman he will never forget…Malcolm Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven, has lived the last three years in self-imposed solitude, paying the price for a mistake he can never reverse and a love he lost forever. The dukedom does not wait, however, and Haven requires an heir, which means he must find himself a wife by summer’s end. There is only one problem—he already has one.The one man she will never forgive…After years in exile, Seraphina, Duchess of Haven, returns to London with a single goal—to reclaim the life she left and find happiness, unencumbered by the man who broke her heart. Haven offers her a deal; Sera can have her freedom, just as soon as she finds her replacement…which requires her to spend the summer in close quarters with the husband she does not want, but somehow cannot resist.A love that neither can deny…The duke has a single summer to woo his wife and convince her that, despite their broken past, he can give her forever, making every day The Day of the Duchess.
Readers also enjoyed
The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3) Review
- October 27, 2016EstherARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher for an honest review. Rating 4.9-5.0************************S P O I L E R S ******************This is Sarah MacLean's best work I think. And I would have given it a five star but a couple small irritations and issues that held me back for a full five star rating. But with all that being said, the emotional and angst part of this story is off the charts and I loved it.Reflecting on how I wanted to write this review and give it justice I came to the conclusi ARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher for an honest review. Rating 4.9-5.0************************S P O I L E R S ******************This is Sarah MacLean's best work I think. And I would have given it a five star but a couple small irritations and issues that held me back for a full five star rating. But with all that being said, the emotional and angst part of this story is off the charts and I loved it.Reflecting on how I wanted to write this review and give it justice I came to the conclusion to just put it out there. So please be warned and bare with me on this. :)Just an overview of the story line and plot, then I'm just going to dive in, so be forewarned.Malcom Marcus Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven and Seraphina Bevingstoke, Duchess of Haven were married a little overthree years ago. We are given glimpses of their sweet and passionate romance throughout the story, before it all went wrong. Malcom was forced to marry Sera, believing she set a trap for him, thinking she wanted his title. After witnessing and living under the miserable marriage of his parents (his mother trapped his father for the same reason, his fathers title) Malcom was bitter and heartbroken because he thought Sera was different. He thought they loved each other and had a true chance at love and marriage. That famous day that they were "caught" Malcom's love died. Seraphina truly loved Malcom and thought he loved her too. When Sera and Malcom began their romance, Malcom seemed to want to keep it secret so Sera went along with it knowing and believing he would eventually ask her to marry him. Malcom wanted to keep their meetings/time together hidden because he viewed their romance as a secret treasure and he wanted no interference or gossip until he actually asked her to marry him. But Sera's mother found out and made Sera believe that he had no intention of marrying her, so she convinced Sera that the only way she would ever have Malcom was to trap him. And so the beginning of a beautiful and pure love turned ugly and deceptive. Sera, believing what her mother had told her thinks this is the only way she will truly and completely have Mal. Malcom was ready to ask Sera to marry him, so he invites her to his country estate, Highley and no one is to know. He prepares a romantic and special time for them to spend together. And so, at Highley the country estate, what was thought to be the beginning of a beautiful life together turned into the begin of a nightmare for both.This is the back drop, in short of how it all started for Sera and Malcom. Sarah Maclean does a fantastic job of interweaving the past and present relationship of Sera and Mal. I normally don't care for this set up, but SM did a fabulous job taking key moments in their past relationship and combining in with present to deliver a masterful and emotional love story. We open with an emotional and angst filled scene where Mal is sitting at his private office above the House of Lords. It's the last day of the parliamentary session. What we are witness too is Mal, counting the day's since Sera left. We are given glimpses of the agony he is enduring and endured from their time apart. Special times they had together and key phrases and moments in their lives is what he's reminiscing about and remembering. We (I) literally feel his pain/anguish and how much he misses her. We learn that she ran away and that he's been searching for Sera relentlessly for the last couple years. It's a powerful and moving opening scene.Mal makes his way to the House of Lords, he sits and awaits as the speaker on the floor end's the year's parliamentary season. And then what we have is a very dramatic scene as well as very unusual. We have the entrance of the Duchess of Haven who makes an announcement to parliament, to Malcom's shock (he has been searching and pursuing her to the ends of there earth, he feels, for years), The Duchess, she is seeking a divorce. I found this to be a beautiful delivered and dramatic scene. WOW!!!From here we learn of what heartache Sera has endured. And it is HEARTBREAKING. I'm warning you now, SPOILERS!!! LAST WARNING!!!We learn that when Sera and Malcom were caught, he agreed to marry her but never wanted to see her again after the wedding. Malcom was absolutley furious (his worst fear and nightmare came true,being trapped into marriage for his title)!!! Sera was devastated and tried to do all she possibly could to let him know she loved him deeply (this scene is very emotional). After they are married we are given the impression that they never really see each other again. Sera becomes pregnant (from their time together when they were caught by her mother)!!! Malcom did not know until that famous party from book one. When Malcom arrives at that famous (again from book one) party, that is when he first see's a pregnant Sera and he loses it. Here is another major, and I mean MAJOR issue I wrestled with and I know others will too. The scene with Malcom and the other woman having sex, that Sera and Sophie walked in on, is very real. Mal was so hurt and furious, he struck back. I had been hopeful that it was a staged scene but sadly it wasn't. This I think was the hardest part of the book for me to accept. But can I say that Sarah MacLean did a beautiful job of portraying the regret and deep shame that Mal had of his transgression (his one and only) throughout the book and it's touched on how much he is/was sorry. We have a flash back to the scene of *****WARNIING ANOTHER SPOILER**** Sera losing the baby. Sera is in pain and hurting so she run's to Malcom for help. The heartbreak and anguish she suffers is palpable. We also witness Malcom's suffering and that's when he finally realizes and becomes aware of his deep love for Sera as she almost dies. Sera is told she will not have babies again and her WITCH of a mother-in-law asks Sera to leave so Mal can find someone else. She gives her the funds to leave. Sera closes her heart and dies little by little inside as she thinks Mal doesn't really love her (he isn't given the chance thanks to his lovely Mother) and now she can't give him a child. So Sera flee's before she learns of Mal's change of heart.During the years away Sera has spent her time in American. She has met this handsome American, Calhoun at his tavern and there she became known as the Sparrow. She sang for patrons. Calhoun and Sera became the best of friends. Sera after years in American decides to come back. She wanted her freedom, hence her request for a divorce. She would open her own tavern and sing, which singing was her escape, her peace from all the pain and suffering. Sera has built a wall around her heart and there it will stay.Malcom finally has Sera home and is determined he will do all in his power to win Sera back. Sera, with her heart encased in her protective wall, is determined to not allow Malcom in. We learn from this point that Malcom devises a plan to get Sera back and win her love again. He tells her, for her to get her divorce she needs to help find his replacement. Malcom's plan is to spend time in the country with several prospective future Duchesses (but not really as it's a facade of course), with the help of his present Duchesses. Sera agrees to Malcom's plan. And from this point on we witness the struggle of two broken and lost souls who learn to forgive and love again. Malcom and Sera's relationship is so full of past hurts and broken dreams you just hurt right along side with them. The anguish that Malcom endures is heartbreaking but yet so redeeming as well (oxymoron I know). Sera, who works so hard at protecting her heart, but yet yearns and I mean yearns for Malcom's love, is so enriching and beautiful to watch and read. The unfolding of their new romance and the processes the two go through to confront past hurts, forgive and trust again is beautiful to behold. The phoenix rising comes to mind, sorry cheesy I know but there it is. Malcom does some absolutely beautiful things to win Seraphina back. I mean beautiful and it's because of those special moments/things that he won my forgiveness and redeemed himself. Sera, oh she worked hard at fighting Malcom but it was a losing battle and not very hard fought either.There is so much more I could write, but feel like I've written enough as it is. I have a LOT of feels from this book. When I wasn't reading it I was constantly THINKING about it. UGH!! The scenes with the sisters is funny, cute and sweet. AND a new series is coming to0 (hope it's okay that I let the cat out of the bag here). Featuring, ready for this- Bareknuckle bastards and some young women we will find familiar. There were a few things that bugged me. One was the first meeting of Mal and Sera. His instant lust/love and she's the one I'll marry seemed contrived and off . Also a couple things about the past were vague, but yet again that might be for the best too.I think this book/love story is the best redeeming love stories I have read in quite a while. I also think this is Sarah MacLeans best book to date (glad she push the publication date back to give this more time and thought, it worked and was worth it). The characters of Sera and Mal are beautiful, multi layered and the growth of each character throughout the book was phenomenal. Pacing was a ten, depth of secondary characters, wonderful and plot/story line, A plus. In the end, the emotions, angst and feelings were what sold it for me, plus my love and wish for a HEA for Sera and Mal. One other side note. The Epilogue was a home run, won't find a better one out there. I hope everyone loves the story of Seraphina and Malcom as much as I did. It was a beautiful story. Thank you Sarah MacLean for delivering.more
- August 19, 2016♥ℳelodyAlright MacLean, I'm giving you one more try. Since Seraphina is the only Talbot sister I liked and the situation with her husband is messy, dark and tormented, my curiosity is piqued. I like messy, I like anti-heroes and I like angst, so you have my attention...more
- August 1, 2016Lacey (Booklovers For Life)AAHHHHH I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK!!!!! This might honestly be my new all-time fav of Sarah MacLean's. The angst had me in TEARS. I LOVED it. THIS is exactly the kind of book I want when I read a second chance romance (aka has a groveling hero who is unrelenting in his pursuit to win back the love of his life).Full review to come!Thanks to the publisher for generously providing me an ARC to review.Amazon Ebook: http://amzn.to/2ameG6eAmazon Paperback: http://amzn.to/2aJqfXSmore
- August 31, 2016Izyhow soon do you think I can somehow get my hands on this book....I needs it!On one hand if Haven did go around cheating then I'm not sure I want to read this because I hate nothing more than married heroes who cheat, on the other hand it's Sera's story.more
- April 9, 2017nick4.5/5This book made me laugh, sob and swoon! It's my favorite book in this series and I could not have asked for a better story for Sera and Mal. RTC
- August 21, 2016Lucy HerondaleOMG! It really is Seraphina's book! Weeeeeeeeeee!On one hand, I think her husband isn't worth the effort, what with him screwing anonymous bitches and all that, but I also want him to realize the pain he's caused and hurt like hell.Anyway, Haven...
- April 15, 2017Irisheyz774.5 stars - a thoroughly enjoyable read 😍😍😍
- April 11, 2017Jaime Arkin4.5 stars!!! I loved this more than I thought I would - but the swoons!! 😍😍
- April 13, 2017(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekickAn utterly exquisite blend of pain and pleasure as MacLean holds nothing back in this couple's relationship. My heart is broke a million times over. Review to come closer to release date.
- April 15, 2017CazNot sure of the final grade yet - probably 4.5 stars.A big improvement on the last book.Review to follow at AAR, closer to publication date.
- December 22, 2016BreeOh man.... so very conflicted about this book. I hate cheating in romance novels! There is nothing "romantic" about it. There are sooooooo many other ways to add conflict to a story... But I am very very curious to see if MacLean will be able to make me root for Malcom in this book given the fact that we caught him in the act of cheating on his pregnant wife at the beginning of the series. The entire situation between Sera and Malcolm seems really messy to me.... she never told him she loved h Oh man.... so very conflicted about this book. I hate cheating in romance novels! There is nothing "romantic" about it. There are sooooooo many other ways to add conflict to a story... But I am very very curious to see if MacLean will be able to make me root for Malcom in this book given the fact that we caught him in the act of cheating on his pregnant wife at the beginning of the series. The entire situation between Sera and Malcolm seems really messy to me.... she never told him she loved him and he (and everyone else?) believed that she tricked/forced him into marriage for his title/money and that she was carrying another man's baby (if my memory about the situation is correct)... but the dude was just so hateful in that first scene!!.. and what happened to the baby?... ugh short of Malcolm being celibate since that day and having a personality transplant and groveling like crazy, I will have a very hard time reading this story without hoping Sera finds a man that will be better to her...more
- August 2, 2016Eri (Airy Reads)Update 8/30/16: The excerpt shattered me and the synopsis utterly destroyed me BYE.I internally screamed when I found out about this book and I cannot wait for 2017!!!I'm ready to have my heart broken and healed with this please <3
- August 26, 2016BubuAlright, the ladies' discussion on Kyra's review has convinced me to try this one after making me re-read the passages with Sera and Haven in The Rogue Not Taken. Fingers crossed.
- August 26, 2016Pen Malubagi will not be reading this book. ever. haven is not worth it. seraphina is better off with someone else and annul her marriage with his cheating bastard. enough said.
- April 14, 2017Erin ArkinReview to come
- April 11, 2017ArshiaThis was spectacularly written. A story so weighted with emotion and heartbreak, I'm surprised I read it. I normally would've hated reading about something so heartbreaking because I couldn't forgive the hero. However, I loved him and I hated him at the same time. His ego and insecurities ruined his life but then again he's human too. His love redeemed him. For Sera, it was the same; her insecurities cost her everything. Eventually she had to learn to let go of the past also.more
- January 8, 2017LanieI'm really excited for this. This story interested me and I really wanted to see it have a happy ending. Can't wait.I'm guessing that she either lost the baby or it was a girl. Which is sad and if she lost the baby I can imagine that could be why he put himself in solitude.I have high hopes for this book it's my guess that him giving her the job of finding a replacement is just a ruse to give him the opportunity to win her back. I'm excited for this and wish it were already out!more
- August 1, 2016BettyIt's gonna be reeeeaaal difficult redeeming the Duke of Haven. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give this book a shot because Sera is so goddamn deserving as heroine of her own book and if Sarah Maclean does pull this off, it's going to be AMAZING!
- October 27, 2016Lisaupdated, 27/10/16: IT HAZ A COVER I IS #DEDI'm so excited for this ever since I read the excerpt y'all I hope Seraphina slays the jerkass duke what's-his-name MAKE HIM BLEED, BABEnow when will school stop cockblocking me so I can have time to read the second bookmore
- September 1, 2016AudreyHaven is such a jerk in the first book so I'm really excited to see what Sarah MacLean does with this book. I love some good hate sex. :D
- January 26, 2017Romina MartinezOh... This appears to be a very interesting book.I want the author to make me like the monster that was Haven. I'm telling you know Sarah, its' not gonna be easy, he was despicable in Sophie's book, to the Talbots in general and to Seraphina in particular. A cheating husband (who had no problem to cheat in front of his wife), and then playing the poor victim, humilliating and demeaning his pregnant wife ... monster is quite slight... I really hope that Sera Makes him beg on his Ducal knees...I l Oh... This appears to be a very interesting book.I want the author to make me like the monster that was Haven. I'm telling you know Sarah, its' not gonna be easy, he was despicable in Sophie's book, to the Talbots in general and to Seraphina in particular. A cheating husband (who had no problem to cheat in front of his wife), and then playing the poor victim, humilliating and demeaning his pregnant wife ... monster is quite slight... I really hope that Sera Makes him beg on his Ducal knees...I love most of your books, liked some and disliked only one... I really hope this is not the second.more
- August 27, 2016Felicia MurrayI cannot WAIT to read this book!!! I am ready for Sera to have her day!!!!
Write a review